Tree Safety Surveys
OTISS can greatly assist Arboricultural Consultants when carrying out general Tree Safety surveys or Tree Risk Assessment.
- On-site data collection and photos using the Tree Survey app on your Android mobile phone or tablet.
- Web based tools for further update, sharing and collaboration.
- Formatted PDF and Excel tables to include to your report.
- Colour coded maps.
Tree Safety Surveys
An OTISS ‘survey‘ is created to plan and carry out an inspection cycle on a client’s estate. This ‘survey‘ record contains general information about aims, restrictions, weather on the day, overall findings, etc. Within a ‘survey’, an ‘inspection‘ record is created for each tree; see the full listing of tree survey data stored by OTISS for each tree.
- Inspections are carried out using your mobile phone or tablet. With the Tree Survey Android application, you can view, update and create new tree inspections. The maps, photos and data are synchronised between OTISS and your phone.
- If you are already using specialised mobile survey devices for collecting data, then we may be able to import/export maps and data to these devices. Please let us know what survey equipment you already have.
All new tree inspections are linked to a current active/open survey. When this survey is set to the ‘closed’ state. then these inspections are ‘frozen’ and an audit trail is created. A new OTISS ‘survey’ can then created for the next inspection cycle.
OTISS now supports various tree safety risk assessment methodologies (e.g. ISA 2013, Matheny and Clark 1994, THREATS). As part of each tree inspection, you fill in the risk factors that are used to automatically calculate a resulting risk category. OTISS supports many standard methodologies, and we provide two configurable algorithms to setup your own method. Read more…
Inventory of Trees
The inventory that was build up during the surveys can be viewed and updated from any Web browser.
- The trees can be divided into separate sites. Site details (access, contact, key holders, etc.) can be setup for each site.
- Part of each tree inspection will be recommendations for maintenance or for the need for more detailed investigation (e.g. internal decay detection).
- The Tree Safety spreadsheet page allows you to search and sort your data using multiple criteria. For example:
- “show me all trees on a particular site that need work doing on them”,
- “list all the oak trees and order them by age class”.
- OTISS provides a set of several hundred Common Tree Species. The list also includes entries for the genus (e.g. Willow sp.) for when species level identification is not required. For each estate, you can build your own list of Estate Tree Species.
- If you have existing spreadsheets, databases, KMLs or shapefiles with relevant tree or inspection data, we may be able to load these into OTISS. Please contact us for more information on what can be done.
Photos and Documents
The Photo Gallery is used to view, update and export the photos collected. Although we are focusing on photos taken using the survey apps; PDFs, Word, Excel and other document types can also be stored with each tree. Photos and documents can also be uploaded directly onto the OTISS website. Read more…
The trees can also be displayed using online maps and coloured icons.
- Upload your own site plans, architects plans, CAD DWG drawing, Ordnance Survey maps, OS Mastermap, topography plans, geo-referenced maps or aerial photos.
- The standard pan and zoom features allow you to move around the map.
- Clicking on an icon allows you to view or update the tree’s details.
- The web map view and the Tree Survey Android app both provide very easy ways of adding new trees. Simply click on the map and enter the information you have available.
- Group of trees and hedges are shown as polygons, and can be reshaped as required. Trees can be re-positioned by simply dragging them to a new location.
- Configure the icon colours by selecting which survey data field to use, and map the survey values to your choice of colours. For example: a simple Red/Orange/Green system for Condition, RiskCategory, WorkDue, etc.; or something more complex – you decide!
The trees can be plotted onto a CAD drawing and exported as a DXF file. The DXF file is intended to be opened by your own CAD application and merged with your existing maps or site plans. More information on the Tree Survey CAD/DXF drawings.
OTISS provides a range of pre-defined Excel spreadsheets to provide summary charts and detailed information about the surveyed trees. In addition, you can customise your own Excel Report Templates (styles, columns, charts, etc) and OTISS will fill in the data and photos. These provide ready-to-use charts and data tables to be copied to your final report.
You can create a set of Excel Report Templates to layout your company style, fonts, colours, column widths, border, formatting, etc. Select which data columns to include and the summary tables to provide some key statistics: e.g. condition, species, etc. Upload your prepared template to OTISS and the spreadsheet is immediately returned to you with the requested data and photos. Copy the charts and tables into your final report. More about Excel Report Templates...
This approach gives you complete control to provide overview, summary and explanations in the final report, and let OTISS provide the bulk of the charts and details.
The following pre-defined PDF reports present examples of what you could achieve.
- Tree Survey Summary Report provides a summary of the survey results – with charts and tables.
- Tree Survey Detailed Report provides a detailed set of tree inspections carried out.
- Survey Recommendations provides a detailed listing of the trees that require action.
The audit trail, photos and history of each tree can be viewed. This provides a complete audit trail of all the inspections (including dates, surveyor’s name, etc.) and all management work carried out on the tree.
- TreeSafety History Report provides a detailed listing of a tree’s inspections. Or you can customise your own history reports with our Excel Report Templates.
Tree Works Programmes
When all the data has been collected from the surveys, it can be used to plan the work programme.
- OTISS provides pre-defined PDF reports and Excel spreadsheets to list the survey recommendations. In addition, you can set up your own Excel Report Templates (styles, columns, charts, etc) and OTISS will fill in the data. More about Excel Report Templates...
- The spreadsheet page allows you to search and sort your data using multiple criteria. For example:
- “show those trees on a particular site that need work doing on them this year”,
- “show all trees that are due for inspection within the next 6 months”,
- The map page allows you colour the icons according to ‘WorkDue’: i.e. overdue, within 1 year, after 1 year. This provides an at-a-glance summary for managers, and a useful map for the contractors.
- If required, specialised data processing can be carried out by downloading the raw data into an Excel spreadsheet.