Benefits of being ‘online’
OTISS is an online, secure website based on a geospatial information systems (GIS) database. The website works with all modern web browsers and is accessible via your internet, broadband and 3G/4G connection. Data held on OTISS is fully and securely backed up on our servers.
There are many advantages to this approach.
- Teamwork within your organisation
- Working with volunteers
- Working with consultants and contractors
- Let us do the IT!
1. Teamwork within your organisation
Trail management is always a team effort, typcially involving several organisations and mulitple offices along the trail. The team includes; rangers, wardens, managers, administration, county council staff, Highway Authorities, and usually private owners, trustees, etc.
Web-based systems are recognised as the most effective means of delivering a multi-site, multi-user solution.
- Using OTISS avoids the challenges of persuading multiple IT departments to allow new software to be used / installed on corporate computers.
- OTISS allows authorised users to have access to your maps, data and photos. You decide what level of access is given to each user.
- Use from any PC, MAC, laptop, tablet or phone that has a web browser.
- All users have instant access to the data they are authorised to see – and its always up-to-date!
2. Working with volunteers
Mobile applications are ideal for working with volunteers. They can use the tablets provided, or use their own Android phone/tablet to survey allocated sections of the trail.
- Most of your volunteers will have their own Android/iPhone/iPad and will be familiar with using mobile applications and the processes of; login, using maps, entering data, syncing, etc. An hour or two of training will enable most volunteers to carry out a survey.
- Under your control, volunteers can be given permission to survey specific parts of the trail, and are not permitted to modify any other data.
- You don’t need to provide printed maps and records – its all downloaded to the survey app for the volunteers to use.
- Your volunteers can carry out inspections, add photos and sync them directly to the OTISS website. You and they don’t waste time on unnecessary data entry.
- Volunteers take great deal of a pride and satisfaction in supporting their favourite trails and footpaths.
3. Working with consultants and contractors
Most organisations work with outside consultants and contractors – either on a project by project basis or as a longer term partnership. Effective co-operation depends on good communication and sharing of data.
Web-based solutions are ideal for working with partners.
- Under your control, other OTISS users can be given access to all or part of your estate. You can provide access on a per-site basis: either for view-only, for update or for re-inspections.
- You don’t need to provide printed maps and records – its all online for authorised users to see.
- Your agents and contractors can directly create/update inspection, add photos and work records. You (and they) don’t waste time on unnecessary data entry.
4. Our Security
We keep your data secure, so that it can only be seen and used by you and your clients.
- OTISS is a cloud based system hosted on our own servers that are located in a professional UK Data Centre. The data centre is physically secure and has backup power, backup servers, etc if they are ever needed.
- Our servers are regularly updated with all security updates, and they have firewalls, anti-virus, anti-intrusion systems that are kept up to date.
- Daily backups are taken of the GIS database and stored offsite. All maps, data files and photos have off-site backup.
- Each OTISS account has a separate username/email and password.
- The HTTPS secure protocol is used for communications and data transfers to/from your PCs and mobile devices.
5. Let us do the IT!
With a cloud based solution, you focus on with the job of managing your trail.
- There is no need to install and maintain expensive software on your PCs or servers.
- There are no upgrades for you to carry out. A real hassle with some multi-user applications.
- You are not relying on a single PC where all the data is stored.
- There are no licence keys or CDs to keep safe.
- There are no data backups to do.