OTISS deals with the many different ways that you work with your clients.
1. One-off survey and report
Once the project is completed, rather than delete the OTISS ‘client’, you can set the client to ‘Not active’. This will keep this data archived so that when the client returns, you will have all the data ready for the next inspection cycle – simply re-activate the ‘client’.
- Having the previous inspection data on the mobile device will speed-up your re-survey time.
- This could allow you to submit a more competitive quote.
2. Multiple projects from Architects, Building Developers, etc…
Many arboricultural consultants get repeat business from Archiects, Building Developers, large consultancy firms, etc. Each project is completely separate from the others – but they are all for the same company.
In these cases you have a few options as to how to set this up within OTISS.
Option 1: Create a single OTISS ‘client’ to represent the architect or building developer, and create a separate site (or sites) for each separate job. Each site can be setup with appropriate names, job numbers, address and contact details. Each site can have a different map or site plan. Reports can be generated on a per-site basis. Important
Option 2: Similar to option 1 above, but it might be more convenient to create a new OTISS client for each year’s projects. E.g. “2017 Acme Arhitect projects”, “2018 Acme Arhitect projects”, etc.
Option 3: Create a new OTISS ‘client’ to represent each project, but include the name of the archiect or building developer in the name (and possibly the year as well). E.g. “2017 Acme – B Jones”, “2017 Acme – Hammersmith School”, etc.
Important Notes – how to decide…
- Option 1 is best suited if you have taken out the OTISS Premium Subscriptions (unlimited trees per client). Users with the Standard Subscriptions should consider Options 2 and 3.
- With Option 3 you can tailor and customise the survey forms to each project. Whereas with Options 1 and 2 you need to be using the same survey form for all projects within the same client.
3. Online Access by your Clients
Many clients will value the ability to view a website providing the maps and survey data of the tree stock on their estate.
- As part of your service, can provide your clients with an OTISS account for online access to estate maps, survey data and reports – with your logo on all webpages and reports.
- Over successive surveys, your clients see the ‘duty of care’ audit trail of the tree safety inspections.
- Clients could also be setup to view the maps and trees on-site via their phones – allowing them to report issues directly to you for maintenance or further investigation.
- Larger estates may have their own forestry/woodland teams that are capable of carrying out the recommendations from the survey. Once you have completed the inspections, the survey can be moved to the Work stage, and the client assigned to update the Work Done. The important thing about the Work stage, is that none of the inspection details or recommendations can be changed – only the Work Done checkbox and notes can be updated. Read more…
These client may see you as part of their ‘team’ and be more likely to return to you for more advice. For full instructions, read How to provide my Client with access to the Tree Surveys…
4. Shared database
Managing a stock of trees can involve a range of people: in addition to your client and their staff (groundsmen, caretaker, facilities manager, etc.), arboricultural contractors and possibly representations of local council and government agencies. At various stages, each of these people may wish to view and possibly update the tree management records. With OTISS, you don’t need to exchange printed maps and records – all the information is online for authorised users to see.
OTISS acts as shared database of information – cutting down on unnecessary reporting and paper work.
- Users can access OTISS from any PC, MAC, laptop, note book, tablet or phone that has a web browser.
- Your staff and contractors don’t have to have identical mobile survey devices. Using the OTISS Survey apps on any Android phone, tablet or GPS device allows consultants to collect data on-site and sync with OTISS.
At all times you, your staff, your clients, your subcontract consultants and contractors have shared access and visibility of what is happening – seeing all the same reports and spreadsheets.