Benefits of being ‘online’
OTISS is an online, secure website based on a geospatial information systems (GIS) database. The website works with all modern web browsers and is accessible via your internet, broadband and 3G/4G connection. Data held on OTISS is fully and securely backed up on our servers.
There are many advantages to this approach.
- Teamwork within your organisation
- Working with volunteers
- Working with consultants and contractors
- Let us do the IT!
1. Teamwork within your organisation
Trail management is always a team effort, typcially involving several organisations and mulitple offices along the trail. The team includes; rangers, wardens, managers, administration, county council staff, Highway Authorities, and usually private owners, trustees, etc.
Web-based systems are recognised as the most effective means of delivering a multi-site, multi-user solution.
- Using OTISS avoids the challenges of persuading multiple IT departments to allow new software to be used / installed on corporate computers.
- OTISS allows authorised users to have access to your maps, data and photos. You decide what level of access is given to each user.
- Use from any PC, MAC, laptop, tablet or phone that has a web browser.
- All users have instant access to the data they are authorised to see – and its always up-to-date!
2. Working with volunteers
Mobile applications are ideal for working with volunteers. They can use the tablets provided, or use their own Android phone/tablet to survey allocated sections of the trail.
- Most of your volunteers will have their own Android/iPhone/iPad and will be familiar with using mobile applications and the processes of; login, using maps, entering data, syncing, etc. An hour or two of training will enable most volunteers to carry out a survey.
- Under your control, volunteers can be given permission to survey specific parts of the trail, and are not permitted to modify any other data.
- You don’t need to provide printed maps and records – its all downloaded to the survey app for the volunteers to use.
- Your volunteers can carry out inspections, add photos and sync them directly to the OTISS website. You and they don’t waste time on unnecessary data entry.
- Volunteers take great deal of a pride and satisfaction in supporting their favourite trails and footpaths.
3. Working with consultants and contractors
Most organisations work with outside consultants and contractors – either on a project by project basis or as a longer term partnership. Effective co-operation depends on good communication and sharing of data.
Web-based solutions are ideal for working with partners.
- Under your control, other OTISS users can be given access to all or part of your estate. You can provide access on a per-site basis: either for view-only, for update or for re-inspections.
- You don’t need to provide printed maps and records – its all online for authorised users to see.
- Your agents and contractors can directly create/update inspection, add photos and work records. You (and they) don’t waste time on unnecessary data entry.
4. Let us do the IT!
With a cloud based solution, you focus on with the job of managing your trail.
- There is no need to install and maintain expensive software on your PCs or servers.
- There are no upgrades for you to carry out. A real hassle with some multi-user applications.
- You are not relying on a single PC where all the data is stored.
- There are no licence keys or CDs to keep safe.
- There are no data backups to do.